Search This Blog

Friday, March 30, 2012

374. Glad All Over by The Dave Clark Five 1963


In 2009 when I took the family over to the UK for a holiday we happened to arrive in Blackpool just as they were about to play a football match that would determine if they would be promoted into the Premier League. As we walked around town on the day of the match there were many vendors selling tangerine scarves so I bought one for each of the kids. I also got to hear a lot of this song which I guess was Blackpool's anthem. They won the match. And went up to the premier league. Only for one season however. That day the  headline of the papers screamed "Glad All Over".
I remember loving the early Dave Clark Five hits when I was an eight year old living in Blackpool before we moved to Australia. Sure they didn't look as cool as the Beatles and when the Stones came along they really started to look naff. But I was attracted to the drum beat. All their songs seemed to pound away. Real foot stomping music. I would get a pair of my mum's knitting needles and pound away the rhythm or a magazine or paper lying on the table. One day I got in trouble because the knitting needles had completely destroyed the first few pages of a new magazine mum had bought.
In the end they only had 3 songs. This one , Bits and Pieces and Catch Us If You Can. I can't believe they were once as big as the Beatles in the States. They look like they work on a cruise ship.

No comments:

Post a Comment