Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

373. Positively 4th Street by Bob Dylan 1965

If you're writing about 1000 songs that have made an impression on you then there are going to be some artists that you keep coming back to because they've written so many damn good songs. Bowie, The Kinks, The Beatles, The Smiths and Bob Dylan come to mind straightaway. So what more can you write about these artists and their wonderful songs. Just have to hope I don't repeat myself.
Positively 4th Street was an important song to me because it was a blueprint for my early songwriting. I was intrigued by the fact that it didn't have a chorus. Just a bunch of verses. Later I got into choruses in a big way but at the time of my early songwriting it really helped to know that songs didn't need them. My old song books are full of these types of songs. There were lots of crawling out of windows and medieval references in songs like "State of Execution". Not happy stuff. Really it was just poetry set to music. And I had a ton of poetry after using the medium to capture a girl's heart.
And one can't go past the words. Another put down song from Dylan. Railing against old friends that had deserted him. People change and move away. I had my first car. I had moved from Blackburn South to Oakleigh. I wasn't seeing my old group of friends anymore. I'd sit in my little room wallowing in the words of Dylan.

No comments:

Post a Comment