Search This Blog

Sunday, March 25, 2012

372. The Concept by Teenage Fanclub 1991

While I was in the UK in 1991 one of the last things I saw on the television was a band called Teenage Fanclub doing a song called Star Sign. It was absolutely fab. There was just something about it that knocked a lot of the other bands I was listening into the out tray.  When I got back to Melbourne the first album I bought was the Teenage Fanclub album. I had picked up the 7" of Star Sign and I couldn't wait to hear more. The first track on the album was the Concept and it just blew me away. Actually it was pretty hard to get past the song because it was so good. After the song finished I instantly hit the rewind button so I could hear it again.I couldn't wait to get down to the Lizard lounge and play it deadly loud. It didn't set the dancefloor on fire but then again not many of their songs ever did that. But a few of us got out there and sang along at the top of our lungs.
I just saw the start of the film "Young Adult" with Charlize Theron trying to recapture her 90s self. Driving home she puts The Concept in the cassette deck of her car. Then keeps replaying again and again. And that's what I used to do in the car. I'd get through the album and then suddenly I would just have to rewind to hear the song again.
Brilliant song and just the start of a fantastic body of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment