Search This Blog

Thursday, March 8, 2012

367. Summer In The City by The Lovin' Spoonful 1966


There is a brace of sixties songs that I remember from the actual time they came on the radio as opposed to those songs I picked up in future years. One of the records that leaped out of the radio was Summer In The City by Lovin' Spoonful. It was one of those hit singles that just seemed so powerful at the time and even listening back to it now it still transcends a lot of the other stuff that was on the charts.
In 1966 I was living in a hostel in Sydney my family deciding to move from Melbourne to Sydney in the shittiest car possible. God knows how it got us over the mountains. We stopped overnight in Wagga Wagga and stopped again as I heaved my guts out on some country back road. The hostel in Sydney was a bit better in that we no longer lived in a tin can but something that actually resembled a house. I celebrated by buying white mice who turned to cannibalism within weeks. As kids we hung around the Rec. Outside the Rec were big speakers that played pop music. It was the sound of heaven to these young ears.
Sydney was a different country. I had to wear a uniform to school. I had to a have a little suitcase for my books. All the kids played marbles every lunch play. We walked down to a park in Lane Cove and watched Johnny O'Keefe film a TV show. We lasted six months. It was back across the mountains to Geelong of all places. That lasted a week. How did we get through these things. With one ear on the radio,

No comments:

Post a Comment