Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

371. 96 Tears by ? and The Mysterians 1966

Of all the records I didn't have but desperately wanted, this would most definitely, at the time,  be the holy grail for me. While hearing it in the late 70s for the first time I'd actually heard about it from John Lennon years earlier when reading one of his interviews. and I kept hearing about it but not actually having a clue what it sounded like. That was until I broke out of the Eastern suburbs in the first flush of punk in 1977. Anyway once I heard it I just had to have it. But I couldn't find it anywhere. I picked up copies that were re-recorded and quickly binned them. I kept waiting for the song to appear on a compilation but no such luck. 
I was told Cameo the label they were on was totally unavailable due to some legal issue involving god knows who and you couldn't get any of their stuff. 
Then, sometime in the late 90s, 20 years after I first heard the song I was doing my usual digging around the vinyl in Record Paradise, (the old vinyl shop that was next to St. Kilda police station in Chapel Street) when I came across the soundtrack of American Graffiti 2. And there it was. Amongst all those sixties tracks. I really couldn't believe it. After so long.  Bought the album and took it home and burned it onto a mini disc which was what I used for portability at the time. It was mine. One of the greatest rock and roll songs of all time. At last.

No comments:

Post a Comment