Search This Blog

Monday, August 26, 2024

517. Let Me Roll It by Paul McCartney 1973

 


Back in 1973, Paul McCartney and Wings released an album called Band on the Run. And although I loved the Beatles when it came to the divorce in 1970 I stayed with John Lennon and listened intently to albums like Plastic Ono and Imagine. And although my interest in John's records tapered off as I welcomed the onslaught of T. Rex, Slade, and then Bowie I still carried a bit of disdain for Paul McCartney's albums. Especially rubbish like Bip Bop which was all over the radio at one stage.

And then they started playing tracks of Band on The Run. And they sounded good. And the album was getting all these accolades. Even Bryan Ferry mentioned how he wished he could make an album like it. I still wasn't sold until I read a review that mentioned how "Let Me Roll It" outdid John Lennon. Intrigued I sought a friend with a large stereo and a copy of the record and asked him to play it. Boom! Mind blown!

I couldn't believe how good this song was. How great it sounded. I had to have the album just for that track. Then I had to tape that track so I could listen to it in my car! Loud. And in the car, it was a monster. 

Then the album opened up to me and eventually I became a fan although subsequent records were never as satisfying. And he was all over the radio with Silly Love Songs and Let Him In and so forth. But when Paul rocks he is pure power pop. Jerez, I didn't even mention Jet!

No comments:

Post a Comment