Search This Blog

Thursday, August 1, 2024

514. My Baby's Gone by Axiom

Box Hill Train Station 1971. Somebody is sitting on the bench waiting for a train into the city. Which is why I'm there too. He's got a transistor radio but it's a little bigger than the one I have at home and it makes a louder sound. And the song I'm hearing is "My Baby's Gone" by Axiom. It's not the first time I've heard it but in fact, it's the first time I hear it! like it just twigs something in my brain and sticks in there. Cos that's what a song can do. Just one day it hits you and it becomes a part of your history. And when I hear it I'm at Box Hill Station waiting for a train in 1971.
Of course, I never had a baby that was gone. I'm 15, in Form 4, and have yet to have anything close to a girlfriend. There is a good chance I'd never been kissed. I went to a boy's high school. I spent a lot of time listening to records. And working out how to buy more working a Chemist delivery round in Blackburn South. $3.60 a week.
My Baby's Gone is an absolute cracker of a record. It sounds amazing and always mystified me why a record as good as this wasn't massive all over the world. Glenn Shorrock is a great singer. As he was in the Twilights. I'm not going to mention Glenn's next band LRB but I probably should since their lead guitarist David Briggs recorded Captain Cocoa when I was managing them and also mastered a few Little Murders albums. And he was very good. He likes to go into the red on the desk.
Oh yeah. I guess I should mention that I saw one of LRBs first gigs. Billed as Mississippi (their previous band name, kind of) they played the Burwood Teachers College Ball at the St. Kilda Town Hall (supporting a Beach Boys cover band)  The bass guitarist from the Zoot, Beeb Birtles played guitar. Can't remember much about them but the Beach Boys band had everyone up and dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment