Search This Blog

Friday, August 23, 2024

516. Teenage Head by Flamin Groovies 1971


 When my record collection was shaken to the core by the arrival of punk rock in 1977 not only did all these old records seem a bit out of place (not Roxy and Bowie though) but while we started to become really excited about the new thing there wasn't much in the way of releases. Just a trickle that began with the Ramones debut album.

Luckily we were pointed to several obscure bands we might have missed along the way. We used to go and see Keith Glass's band at the Tiger Lounge on Wednesdays when he started having punk bands support him. And he played this one song that I just loved called "Shake Some Action" released by the Flamin Groovies in 1976. I had to find the album and even though I scoured all the record shops I couldn't find it. I should have tried Archie and Jugheads!

However, at Monash Records I came across an earlier album by the Groovies called "Teenage Head" I wasn't expecting much and wasn't captivated until I heard this song in the right setting which was half drunk and waiting to go out on the town. And once this song got me in the rest of the tracks started to make sense too and I loved the album. I managed to get the Shake Some Action album not too long after but that couldn't nudge this off the turntable. Well not just yet!


No comments:

Post a Comment